birding-aus

birding-aus White-Backed Swallows

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus White-Backed Swallows
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:07:48 +0930
White-Backed Swallows seem to be a species not often mentioned on Birding-Aus. A check of the archives revealed a mere handful of mentions.

I recently (2/5/99) saw three W B Swallows and was suddenly reminded how beautiful they are.
The sighting was at One Tree Hill (35 30 38 S  140 10 08 E) 15 km south of Geranium in the Murray Mallee of South Australia. (Geranium is about 160km east of Adelaide - 2 hours drive on the Tailem Bend to Lameroo road)

The birds sighted were flitting around a sandy bank and frequently inspecting a hole in the bank. During my 20 minute stay (for the Atlas) I did not observe any of them entering the tunnel.

This sighting was special for me because I had not observed this species for nearly fifteen years.

Other species recorded nearby included Dusky Woodswallows, Welcome Swallows, White Browed Babblers, Nankeen Kestrel, Little Eagle, Superb Blue Wren, Silvereye, Spiny Cheeked Honeyeater.

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge
South Australia