birding-aus

Re: birding-aus White-Backed Swallows

To: Trevor Hampel <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus White-Backed Swallows
From: "Lawrence E. Conole" <>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:29:22 +1000
Trevor Hampel wrote:

>    White-Backed Swallows seem to be a species not often mentioned on
> Birding-Aus. A check of the archives revealed a mere handful of
> mentions.
>
> I recently (2/5/99) saw three W B Swallows and was suddenly reminded
> how beautiful they are.
> The sighting was at One Tree Hill (35 30 38 S  140 10 08 E) 15 km
> south of Geranium in the Murray Mallee of South Australia. (Geranium
> is about 160km east of Adelaide - 2 hours drive on the Tailem Bend to
> Lameroo road)
>
> The birds sighted were flitting around a sandy bank and frequently
> inspecting a hole in the bank. During my 20 minute stay (for the
> Atlas) I did not observe any of them entering the tunnel.

Well said Trevor!  Last week I saw 6 of these beautiful creatures (with
their strange thornbill/weebill type call) flying around a gypsum quarry
south of Cohuna in the Victorian Riverina.  Better looks than I'd had in
years, and yes, they are gorgeous creatures.  I could see a number of
burrows in the heaps of crushed gypsum, and suspect they were WBS nest
burrows this summer just gone.

Cheers, Lawrie

--
Lawrie Conole

37°44'27"S  144°56'17"E

Phone (03) 9354 2484; Mobile (0419) 588 993
E-mail: <>
Home page:  http://www.users.bigpond.com/ocoineoil/