birding-aus

birding-aus pardalotes

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus pardalotes
From: "Nick" <>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:15:00 +1000
Hello all

Not usually one for sentimental style birding experiences, but this was amazing...

I was birding in Campbell Park in the ACT on the weekend, and was trying to photograph some sitella's which were doing their usual thing in a eucalypt, which had a wattle tree growing near its base. My camera was close to a branch of the wattle tree, and I saw a bird bounding down this branch. When it stopped i realised it was a female spotted pardalote. By this stage she was only about 1 metre from the end of my lens, and i was trying to back away so it would focus that closely - but the pardalote must have been camera shy, cause it proceeded to hop onto my lens and there was nothing i could do. It sat there on my lens for about 20 seconds before it jumped off. I wish i had a second camera to take a photo of that moment. Are pardalotes usually this confiding??

Nick Leseberg

P.S  Does anyone know of somewhere close to Canberra where you can reliably see Painted Button-Quail??