birding-aus

birding-aus Trevor Quested's trip to Capertee

To: Russell <>
Subject: birding-aus Trevor Quested's trip to Capertee
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 08:42:14 +1100

Hello all, including Trevor,

We can't match your honeyeaters or Swifties, Trevor, but we can add Musk
Lorikeets feeding in the one and only white box in full flower on the tree
planting site on Marlyn, Dunville Loop, Saturday, where between 40 and 60
people planted 3,000 trees, in one day, with a few faithful ones staying on
for Sunday to plant the remaining 250 and water the lot. Why weren't you
there Trevor getting your hands dirty? There was also a Yellow-billed
Spoonbil flying around near Mt. Marsden.

The Plumheads were still at the entry to Goollooinboin on Sunday as where
further along ther road a Scarlet Robin, two Brown Falcons sitting on fence
posts and looking superciliously at passing cars,  3 Black-shouldered kits
on Goollooinboin, the pair performing what I took to be courtship flights,
an Azure Kingfisher at the Glenowlan Bridge crossing plus the Barking Owls
and White-backed Woodswallows but only two species of finch.

I would add to Trevor's comments, there is going to be a bumper flowering
season shortly and the whole valley will come alive, not just the odd hot
spot, like the 2nd sealed bit of road in from Capertee where all the way
down the hill you find masses of birds as Trevor describes.

Penny.

"Drive 13 kms - look and listen for bird flocks - we saw 6 Red-browed
Treecreepers and lots of Buff-rumped Thornbills here.
Drive a further 1.5 Kms approx.  Look for for sale signs on "Mountain
Versteck" property. Walk slowly for the next 2 kms stopping regularly and
just watching the birds wizz about you.  We saw many Swift Parrots - say
80, Little Lorikeets, Striped, Black-chinned, Brown-headed, Yellow-tufted,
White-naped, White-eared,Fuscous, & White-plumed Honeyeaters. Several
Shrike-tits, a White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Diamond Firetails, lots of
Dusky Woodswallows,  and Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos. White Box is just
starting to blossom here.

At the left hand side of the entrance to Goollooinboon Station in the young
tree plantings we saw 4 species of finch including 2 small flocks of
Plum-headed Finch.  Later, on the property in the timbered margins we saw a
female Red-capped Robin.

At the Glenolan Road bridge 10 minutes past Glen Alice on the Rylstone
Road, we found a pair of Barking Owls and saw 4 White-backed Swallows and
another four species of finch.

I think we saw nearly 100 species for the trip.  All the best at your attempts
Trevor

quotes)