birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Cockatoo flying behaviour

To: "Martin O'Brien" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Cockatoo flying behaviour
From: Laurence & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:05:48 +1000
Martin O'Brien wrote:

> A question  for the list.
>
> My father was inquiring about why different cockatoo species fly the way
> they do.  Sulphur-crested Cockatoos have the seemingly unco-ordinated
> double flapping (with no apprent pattern) while Yellow-tailed Black
> Cockatoos have a very "lazy" gentle flight pattern.
>
> I'm interested in people's thoughts on the matter.  Do the different
> patterns confer an "advantage" or are they related to movement and habitat
> or flock structure.  Is there any explanation at all??

As a top of the head, totally unscientific idea, I would suggest the
flight patterns are linked to the birds' brain patterns.  It would be
interesting to see if there were a correlation between the way a species
calls and the way it flies - cockatoos with discordant calls fly in an
uncoordinated fashion, while cockatoos with harmonious calls are poetry
in motion!

LK.

quotes)