birding-aus

Re: birding-aus where to see many birds?

To: alan shlosberg <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus where to see many birds?
From: Laurence & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:00:53 +1000
alan shlosberg wrote:

> Earlier this year, & in great anticipation to birding in Australia in
> September-
> October, I posted a query regarding a field guide. I got many helpful replies
> & now have my field guide. I was going to wait before asking again for help
> to plan my trip, but as Lloyd Nielson asked about a book ('Where to Watch
> Birds in Australasia and Oceana'  by Nigel Wheatley ) that I bought last
> year, and on which I was to base my trip, it is now an opportune time to
> ask the list once more for help.
>

> I shall be lucky in having about 14 days to bird, & want to see as much as
> possible of the birds of Australia (I shall have some work to do too, & shall
> neglect "tourism" completely). Would it be preferable to concentrate on
> certain locations within a few hours driving ( I shall have a car) from
> several
> towns to where I can fly (I have to visit at least Sydney & Brisbane for
> work)?.
>
> On thoroughly reading the Wheatley guide, I took the following locations to
> be my best bet: -
>  - base Sydney  - a. Royal National Park.  b. Glen Davis.   c. Dharug NP.
> d. Pelagic trip.
>  - base Melbourne - e. Deniliquin.  f. Werribee sewage works.
>  - base Darwin - g. Around town. h. Kakadu NP.
>  - base Brisbane  - i. Lamington NP.

If you are going to bird round Lamington, I would suggest going to the
Green Mountains section rather than the Binna Burra section as there are
more species there.

Actually, you can probably see as many if not more species on the track
from Jollys Lookout to Boombana NP at Mt Nebo, just half on hour out of
Brisbane.

Of course, if you want to see lots of birds, then Cairns/Townsville is
probably the "hottest" spot in Australia with handy airport access.

LK

quotes)