birding-aus

birding-aus Easter at Paluma Range National Park

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Easter at Paluma Range National Park
From: "Ian Clayton" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 01:07:56 +1000
Hi All

Just spent a wet Easter weekend, birding the Paluma Range Ranger National
Park.  Paluma is a small rainforest village about 1.5 hours north of
Townsville in Nth Queensland, were the majority of our rainforest endemics
can be found.

Not a great deal of time spent birding due to wet conditions but I caught up
on reading my three Aussie birding mags.

Below is a list of birds seen with maximum number of birds seen over the
weekend.  This includes travelling to and from Paluma.

White-faced Heron 2
Black Kite 6
Whistling Kite 3
Grey Goshawk 1
Australian Kestrel 4
Australian Brush Turkey 10
Masked Lapwing 20
White-headed Pigeon 1
Crested Pigeon 10
Squatter Pigeon 12
Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo 10
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo 6
Rainbow Lorikeet 30
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet 6
Australian King Parrot 10
Crimson Rosella 10
Fan-tailed Cuckoo 4
Laughing Kookaburra 8
Forest Kingfisher 15
Rainbow Bee-eater 20
Dollarbird 5 juv.
Noisy Pitta 6
Fairy Martin 50
Yellow-eyed Cuckoo Shrike 4
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike 4
Eastern-yellow Robin 4
Pale-yellow Robin 3
Grey-headed Robin 10
Golden Whistler 4
Grey Whistler 3
Little Shrike-thrush 8
Bower's Shrike-thrush 6
Grey Shrike-thrush 1
Black-faced Monarch, heard only
Spectacled monarch 4
Rufous Fantail 3
Grey Fantail 10
Willie Wagtail 20
Chowchilla 20
Eastern Whipbird 2
Large-billed Scrubwren 4
Yellow-throated Scrubwren 6
White-browed Srubwren 2
Weebill 1
Brown Gerygone 20
Little Treecreeper 2
Yellow-throated Miner 6
Macleay's Honeyeater 15
Lewin's Honeyeater 10
Bridled Honeyeater 20
White-cheeked Honeyeater 8
Eastern Spinebill 15
Dusky Honeyeater 2
Spotted Pardalote 6
Red-browed Firetail 8
Spangled Drongo 4
Golden Bowerbird 1 (three bowers visited only one still active)
Spotted Catbird 4
Tooth-billed Bowerbird 1
Victoria's Riflebird 6
Magpie Lark 20
White-breasted Woodswallow 20
Black-faced Woodswallow  15
Grey Butcherbird 4
Pied Butcherbird 2
Australian Magpie 10
Pied Currawong 4
Torresian Crow 20
Apostlebird  4 family groups

Regards

Ian Clayton
Birds & Bush Tours
PO Box 6037, TMC, Townsville, Qld, Australia.     4810

Phone/Fax: 07 4721 6489
Phone/Fax International: + 61 7 4721 6489

Email:

To a man ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded, so
that they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly
trees, as they watch for birds.

Gore Vidal