birding-aus

birding-aus Easter in Qld "Central Highlands"

Subject: birding-aus Easter in Qld "Central Highlands"
From: Laurence & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 19:08:55 +1000
A friend and I escaped the Easter rain in the anything but central
highlands of Qld.  We spent a bit of time poking about Cania Gorge NP
[about 15 minutes north of Monto - inland of Bundaberg on the Burnett
Highway].  There were plenty of woodland birds about, and a pigeon sized
bird with a striped chest in a large patch of dry rainforest [I vaguely
suspected an oriental cuckoo but I've got to get my bino's cleaned
out].  There were also a few brush-tailed rock wallabies about the
gorges [wonderfully poised creatures] and rufous bettongs nosing around
the local caravan park.

Moving on, we saw a group of four bustards walking through a crop just
outside of Biloela [west of Gladstone on the Dawson Highway].  We later
flushed a bustard which was lurking beside the road and discovered that
bustards have an impressive wingspan.

We stopped off at Theodore [about half an hour south of Banana on the
Leichardt Hwy to resupply].  There was a flock of fifty red-tailed
cockatoos gracing someone's front yard, and just the other side of the
pub an equal sized flock of sulphur-crested cockatoos [is it common to
get white and black cockatoos in the one location?]

Isla Gorge [south of Theodore] has a lot to attract the photographically
inclined bushwalker [lots of impressive sandstone features].  I managed
to flush a pair of spotted quail thrush [they very obligingly kept on
whistling for me].  Later on, a peregrine kindly perched on a nearby
tree as we were nearing the top of one of the peaks.

Interestingly, a flock of a dozen or so birds flying in a line passed
over our camp [in an easterly direction] around 9 pm on Sat night.  They
seemed to be about the size of a rainbow lorikeet and their call was a
bit like a whistling duck.  I've got no idea what they were.

Overall, I would say Isla Gorge is a good place to visit when you can't
get to Carnarvon Gorge NP [just a bit on the dry side].

Laurence Knight.

quotes)