birding-aus

birding-aus Easter Reports and Cockatoos

Subject: birding-aus Easter Reports and Cockatoos
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:09:55 PDT
Hi all,

All these wonderful Easter trip reports are making me very jealous
(especially the one from Back o?Bourke). I spent a rainy Easter doing
not much except for catching up on filling in my Atlas sheets. Oh well
at least I was able to send off a bundle of them today.

Anyway, amongst much interesting information regarding Easter in the Qld
central highlands, Laurence Knight wrote:
>There was a flock of fifty red-tailed
>cockatoos gracing someone's front yard, and just the other side of the
>pub an equal sized flock of sulphur-crested cockatoos [is it common to
>get white and black cockatoos in the one location?]

White and black cockatoos are certainly common in the same location
around here (Katoomba NSW). If I step out my front door at any time
during the day, there is a very good chance I will see or hear
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos or Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos or both.
After not seeing them at all for a few months, family groups of YTBCs
are now gracing the skies almost constantly, flying to and fro, their
wild wailing cries echoing across the town. Today there was a family of
them feeding in pine trees in the Katoomba garden shop, bombarding
customers with discarded pine cones! And it?s a bit of a worry driving
under the pine trees on Bathurst Road with an extensive carpet of pine
debris littering the road, including whole cones dropped by the YTBCs (I
think the council should erect a ?DANGER FALLING PINE CONES? sign). The
Sulphur-crests have been steadily increasing in Katoomba over several
years, and very recently seem to have been joined by a few Little
Corellas (perhaps renegades from the feral population in Sydney's west).
Apart from the town cockatoos, it?s a wonderful sight to stand at a
lookout and watch the glowing white forms of SC Cockatoos flying over
the canopy hundreds of metres below. They're certainly not restricted to
open or urban habitats.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets