birding-aus

birding-aus RKI Pacific Gulls

Subject: birding-aus RKI Pacific Gulls
From: David James <>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:25:13 +1000
birding-aus

Birders,

I have received a letter from Ted Hoogendoorn of the Netherlands asking for
advice about easy places to see Pacific Gulls. Ted is writing a guide to
the gulls of the world (I can't recall whether its for pica or Helm).  He
is interested in looking at the differences in bill-pattern loral point and
iris colour in three widely separated areas:

I quote

1) The coast north of Perth, for n.w. populations of subspecies georgii;
where on the mainland can I rely on seeing them in any numbers? Would
Geraldton be OK or do I have to go further north into Shark Bay? But where,
Carnarvon, Denham?

2) The coastal area around adelaide for E. population of subspecies
georgii; but where exactly on the Fleurieu Peninsula, Kangaroo I., or
perhaps Yorke Peninsula (Black Point)?

3) Wilson's Promontory for subspecies pacificus; and is Altona also OK?

end quote

The dates aren't settled, but I gather that the visit will be rushed. Can
anyone suggest reliable specific roost sights (with directions) to help him
see as many adults and immatures as possible. He has not asked for guidance
from locals but I'm sure it would be appreciated if anyone has the time.
Reply to me and I will forward the comments by snail mail.

thanks in advance

and thanks to Russel for drawing attention to the fact that this message
didn't get thru first time.

David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre,