birding-aus

birding-aus Black Bitterns

To: Bill Jolly <>, "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Black Bitterns
From: morris <>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:10:58 +1100
birding-aus

Hi Birders & Bill,
Bill Jolly in a recent note to Birding Aus, commented that some people
think that Black Bitterns are tropical Australia birds.
I can assure contributors that Queensland does not have a monopoly on
Black Bitterns although I must say that during a mornings trip along
Wyong Creek or Ourimbah Creek, on the NSW Central Coast, I am not likely
to see Black Bitterns like I did on a Chris Dahlberg Cruise in December
1998, when we saw 6 in total on the Daintree River!!.However Black
Bitterns breed along the said creeks and are not difficult to find.
Recently at a NSWFOC outing , we had morning tea near the railway bridge
at Wyong and a Black Bittern flew past for all to see too! Black
Bitterns occur all the way down the NSW coast to the Victorian Border!.

Alan Morris
Records Officer
NSWFOC

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)