birding-aus

birding-aus Opera birding

To: Russell <>
Subject: birding-aus Opera birding
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:11:23 +1100
birding-aus

From: "Vicki Parslow Stafford" <>
To: "Tom Tarrant" <>, <>
Cc: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Birding while ...
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:37:48 -0500

Hi chaps

A bit tough, Tom!  I know I don't get out much, but how could any LIVE
opera performance be boring?

Can't say I've observed birds AT the opera, but can claim to have had a
grey fantail fly into my house and sing along on cue -- to Papageno's aria
"Der Vogelfanger bin ich ja", naturally!  (True as I'm sitting here --
almost vowed to give up Chateau Cardboard after that!)

Vicki PS

----------
> From: Tom Tarrant <>
> Blimey David,
>
> I've always found opera pretty boring but if that's how exciting the
> performance is I think I'll stay at home!

> David McDonald wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone reported on 'Birds I have observed while at the Opera'? On
> > Sat 6 March, Canberra birdos Barbara Allan, Noela McDonald and I (along
> > with 2.5 thousand others, mostly non-birdos I suspect, considering
where
> > they were pointing their bins) went to a fine performance by Opera
> > Australia at the Madew Vineyards & Winery near Canberra. Our list of
> > birds observed, while at our seats at the Opera, was similar in number
> > (if not plumage) to the number of Singers: Straw-necked Ibis, Common
> > Starling, Pied Currawong, Little Eagle, Australian Raven and Australian
> > Magpie.

It's a pleasure to know that some birders  appreciate opera - we're a rare
and very special species and should be protected! I have yet to hear birds
while at the opera, but have fond memories of lying on the grass at
Kenwood, Hampstead Heath, London, listening to Beethoven's Pastoral to
cries of the Moorhens across the water, and Blackbirds and Song Thrushes
joining in. Here in Sydney we have flights of fruit bats to accompany Opera
in the Park - fortunately silent.

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)