birding-aus

birding-aus Bird Names vs Code numbers

To: "Michael Todd" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Bird Names vs Code numbers
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:52:26 +1100
birding-aus

Michael's message about using bird code numbers is absolutely right.
Canberra Ornithologists Group uses the RAOU Atlas numbers, so the database
and Garden Bird Survey database (Microsoft Access) stores all bird records
in that form. What a horror show it would be to type in a bird name for
every record. With over 42000 GBS count records and over 3000 breeding
records, such a scheme is necessary. What you see on screens and reports is
the bird name that links to the number. Bird species can be entered by
either typing in the number, selecting the name from a drop down list or
starting typing in the name and the computer does the looking up and
matching. There is however a problem in that the Atlas numbers are all over
the place and do not include things like all the lovebird species and other
foreign pets that we need to account for. Therefore I have other fields that
enable sorting either by the Christidis & Boles list or the earlier list
that was around before then (I call them TAX_OLD and TAX_NEW, though they
have nothing to do with John Howard). Other numbers have been conjured up
for those foreign species when they occur.