birding-aus

birding-aus Sibley and Monroe

To: David James <>
Subject: birding-aus Sibley and Monroe
From: Ian Montgomery <>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:18:20 +1100
birding-aus

<<<<
The taxonomy of Sibley & Monroe is rife with unjustified and subjective
decisions. Many people consider Sibley and Monroe to be convenient, but I
consider it to be substandard. It is an example of fashionable rather than
of scientific taxonomy (at the species level).

In defence of S and M (the people that is), I understand that they don't
claim to have worked at the species level.  Their DNA work was primarily
concerned with interrelationships between higher-level taxa.  It could be
claimed that their approach to this is much more scientific that
traditional approaches, so I think you are being a little harsh in
dismissing them as "fashionable".

<<<<
A. melanogaster and A. (m.) novaehollandiae both exist as separate taxa.
what's the difference between subspecies and species anyway? and who cares,
apart from taxonomists and twitchers?

Elegantly expressed.  The difference I suppose is time which is also a
continuum.

I use Sibley and Monroe in my database because I like their
reclassification of families etc and because their "complete" list was the
first one I found on the internet.  I wanted something which would help me
resolve issues like is the "Brown Duck" I saw in Ecuador the same taxon as
the "Brown Duck" in Botswana?  I hasten to add that I am not a taxonomist
and just needed an "authority" to help me impose some order on my birding
records.

My tuppence worth.  Best wishes,  Ian