birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Names vs numbers

To: "Michael Todd" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Names vs numbers
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:34:46 +1030 (CDT)
birding-aus

Hi Michael and other birders.
  I hope I didn't create the impression that I disagreed with some of these
suggestions re using numbering systems rather than names in databases for
birds. I agree largely with the points about greater accuracy and ease of
access afforded by numbering systems. But being me, I just couldn't resist
the temptation of combining that concept with the numbering system used in
Chinese eateries to overcome the problems us Euros have in pronouncing (
correctly )some of the Chinese names.It sounded hilarious to me, but then
some people do see me as odd, except Lorne of course and Pat O'Malley ( dear
email friends in madness).

Some years ago I put together a 24 page listing of birds as numbered in
Simpson and Day ( 5th Ed ), together with subspecies as a, b, c ,d ,etc. The
preferred English names are there too, as are the scientific ones, but
looking them up is much quicker using the numbers rather than the names.

All in good fun. Tony.
>>Tony Russell
>>Ph: 08 82078470W
>>    08 83375959H
>>Fax:08 82078422
>>e mail:
>>Adelaide South Australia.
>>
>>To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>>
>>Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)

Tony Russell
Ph: 08 82078470W
    08 83375959H
Fax:08 82078422
e mail:
Adelaide South Australia.

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)