birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Reed-warblers

To: Tania Ireton <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Reed-warblers
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:23:50 +1100
birding-aus

Tania Ireton wrote:

> birding-aus
>
> I have some recollection from talking to Fred Smith that the colour
> inside the mouth is different.  I believe Fred said that the Oriental
> Reed-warbler is pink inside the mouth but I may be mistaken.
>
> Tania Ireton
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)
Re Reedwarblers
  Many years ago when original Pizzey Fieldguide appeared, I was
surprised to read that Australian, ie Clamorous RW has a yellow inside
to mouth. At that time they were reasonably common in Heidelberg and I
had often watched singing birds. I clearly recall watching one in
Banyule Swamp whose mouth was bright (nailvarnish-type) pink inside. I
have also seen birds with orangeish mouth-lining.
  Alas, RWs are now seldom seen locally, so I haven't been able to check
up this point. But I'd like to know. Perhaps the banders notice this
sort of thing?  It could be seasonally or individually variable.
 Anthea Fleming in Melbourne

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)