birding-aus

birding-aus Wedge-tailed Eagles

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Wedge-tailed Eagles
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:05:35 +1100
birding-aus

Hi!

I have been surprised to see a "family?" of three Wedge-tailed Eagles (WTE)
over the Organ Pipes Park at Keilor on the outskirts of Melbourne.  They
were soaring over the valley, which drops away from the surrounding land
and they were therefore only about 50 feet above the activity around the
area.  This is all less than a hundred metres from the busy Calder Highway
at about 7.00 a.m.  Immediately on the other side of the highway is a
large, active housing development.  I have never seen WTE's this close to
suburban noise and development before.

I have seen these birds (I presume the same group) a couple of times
before, but could not stop in the traffic to identify them.

Is it unusual for WTE's to be in this environment??

Bob Cook

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)