birding-aus

Trip To Australia And New Zealand

Subject: Trip To Australia And New Zealand
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 06:42:03 +1000
I have received the following request for help from South African birder Ian
McFarlane.  I have been able to point Ian in a couple of directions but
wonder if someone nearer his intended destinations might be good enough to
contact Ian with further details.

Besides the general request I attach a more detailed itinerary sent by Ian.

>Hello Julian,
>Obtained your name and address from your request on SA Birdnet.  You may
>find the attached file of some use for the Kruger Park.  It is a checklist
>of birds seen by me on visits to the Park over the years.
>
>I would appreciate it if you could possibly help me (or give me names and E
>Mail addresses of people who could possibly help) on a birding and sight
>seeing trip I plan to make with my wife and another couple to Australia and
>New Zealand in March this year. Our proposed itinerary is as per the
>attached file.
>What we would appreciate is:
>a) Best birding spots in each location
>b) Any local birders that could assist
>c) Recommendations on accommodation either on a B&B basis or 2 Bedroom
>cottage; preferably out     of town run by people who know their local
>birds
>d) Birdlists for the different areas
>
>Some thoughts we have at present are:
>Perth Area  Kings Park,Thomsons Lake, Pelican Point and Dryandra Forest
>where we will stay overnight.
>
>South Island New Zealand circular trip to see various sights. Birding we
>understand is not great in numbers but some good specials
>
>Cairns Area We want to go to the Barrier Reef, Daintree River Cruise, visit
> MissionBeach, Crater National Park, Cairns Promenade, Botanical Gardens.
>Does it make sense to stay in one location or are the roads and distances
>such that we should move around? We would also like to see a Platypus.
>
>Sydney We would like to go to the Royal National Park to see the superb
>lyrebird amongst others.
>Looking forward to your Response
>Regards

Proposed Trip to Australia/New Zealand

Date    Day     Flight          Accomm
4/03/1999       Thursday        SAA 20.50/12.00 Jhb/Perth
5/03/1999       Friday                  Perth
6/03/1999       Saturday                        Perth
7/03/1999       Sunday                  Dryandra Forest
8/03/1999       Monday  SAA 13.10/19.00 Perth/Sydney    Sydney near Airport
9/03/1999       Tuesday NZ 182 09:40/14:40      Sydney/C.church Greymouth or
C/Church
10/03/1999      Wednesday                       Fox Glacier
11/03/1999      Thursday                        Wanaka
12/03/1999      Friday                  Te Anau
13/03/1999      Saturday                        Te Anau
14/03/1999      Sunday                  Stewart Island
15/03/1999      Monday                  Dunedin
16/03/1999      Tuesday                 Christchurch
17/03/1999      Wednesday       NZ 181 07:45/09:15      C.church/Sydney
                AN12411.55/15.20        Sydney/Cairns   Cairns Area
18/03/1999      Thursday                        Cairns Area
19/03/1999      Friday                  Cairns Area
20/03/1999      Saturday                        Cairns Area
21/03/1999      Sunday                  Cairns Area
22/03/1999      Monday                  Cairns Area
23/03/1999      Tuesday                 Cairns Area
24/03/1999      Wednesday       AN 063 6:00/8:00   AN 125 08:55/11:25
Cairns/Brisbane
Brisbane/Sydney Sydney
25/03/1999      Thursday                        Sydney
26/03/1999      Friday  SAA 21.40/06.20 Sydney/J'burg

Thanks in advance to those who can help Ian

Julian

Julian Bielewicz
Past President
Queensland Ornithological Society