birding-aus

Re: RFI Eastern Indonesia, contacts and Bird Books

To: "stuart collins" <>, <>
Subject: Re: RFI Eastern Indonesia, contacts and Bird Books
From: "Muir Environmental" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:52:35 +0800
Mon25Jan99;  0835hrs

Good morning Stuart

You wrote: "> Also I wonder where I can get hold of a bird list for the
area if such a
> thing exists."

Details of checklist:

Andrew, P. (1992). The Birds of Indonesia: a Checklist (Peters" Sequence).
KUKILA Checklist No. 1. Indonesian Ornithol. Soc.: Jakarta.

Then you wrote: "I believe there is a book out now called "Birds of
> Wallacea" which I am looking for. Does anyone know where to get it?"

I got my copy from Andrew Isles Bookshop in Melbourne.  If you don't know
this bookshop, I'll email you the contact details, etc.

Full details of the book:
White, C.M.N. and Bruce, M.D. (1986).  The Birds of Wallacea (Sulawesi, The
Moluccas and Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia): an annotated check-list.
B.O.U. Checklist No. 7.  Brit. Ornithol. Union: London. Cost around AU$100.

There are several field guides that would be of use to you including:
Coates, Bishop and Gardner (1997): A Guide to the Birds of Wallacea:
Sulawesi, The Moluccas and Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia.

Also possibly of interest if:

Jepson and Ounsted (editors) (1997): Birding Indonesia: a Birdwatcher's
Guide to the World's Largest Archipelago.  Periplus Editions in assoc. with
Birdlife International.

I've forwarded on your message to a friend/contact who may be able to help
you.  He will contact you by email if he can.

Hope the new posting and birding opportunities go well

Jennifer Muir