birding-aus

Birding in Beijing

To: <>
Subject: Birding in Beijing
From: "W H Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:54:59 +1000
Aidan Sudbury asked for somewhere to bird around Beijing in June.

For the free week,  I think the nearest recognised birdy place to go would
be Beidaihe. This is Beijing's traditional beach resort on the Bohai Sea in
Hebei Province. It is used to catering for visitors, and provides an
assortment of habitats, including estuary and wooded hillsides.  It's the
sort of place and time where you could well drop on to a Hoopoe.

Easy to reach by train from Beijing in about 4 hours. Once in Tianjin, I saw
a Chinese production of The Importance of Being Earnest with a few local
modifications incorporated, including the substitution of Beidaihe as the
resort destination on the ticket found in the Gladstone Bag along with the
baby Henry Worthing (Henry Beidaihe)!

Perhaps while in Beijing you'll have time for day trips to the Fragrant
Hills etc, but if you want to talk about birding (such as it is) or other
things in Beijing, maybe you'd like to email me direct.

By the way, in Beijing there are a lot of places where you can buy Tree
Sparrows on sticks - roasted, and delicious.

Best of luck

Bill Jolly