birding-aus

Re: Trip report: "baby sea eagle"

To: Atriplex Services <>
Subject: Re: Trip report: "baby sea eagle"
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:50:35 +1100
Atriplex Services wrote:

> I just wonder whether you had a polite chat with the guide re the
> Whistling Kite/baby sea eagle and if so, what was his/her reaction? I
> hate the thought of hundreds of tourists being so badly mis-informed
> about one of Australia's commonest and most easily identified (when it
> whistles) raptors. Was the guide truly interested in informing people
> and, if so, did you give him/her some info on how to learn more about
> birds?
> Regards, Anne
>
> --
> Anne & Roger A. Green, Atriplex Services, Morgan, Sth.Australia
> Environmental Consultants & Native Plant Nursery.
> Mailto:
>  http://www.riverland.net.au/~atriplex
Re Kakadu Birds
In 1994 we visited Kakadu - too briefly - and enjoyed the Yellow Waters
evening cruise. Because the bows of the boat had been taken over by a
large Japanese tour party who got there first, we stayed at the stern so
we could step out and photograph things from the deck. So we were close
to the boatdriver.  We were very lucky because when he realised we were
serious bird fans, he took care to point out all the birds and
accurately identify them. This included running the boat in close to
some waterside vegetation in hopes -fulfilled- of a pair of Shining
Flycatchers.  I forget how many species we saw but it was a splendid
list. Cormorants, all 3 Ibis, Egrets, Pied Herons, Sea Eagles, Black and
Whistling Kites, Whistling and many other ducks, Sacred and Forest
Kingfishers etc etc!  We thanked him heartily. His comment was "It's
such a nice change from people who only want to see crocodiles!"  So
your guide's knowledge can be very much the luck of the draw.
   But I do think misidentifications should be *politely* pointed out.
   Anthea Fleming.