birding-aus

Re: Black Grasswren

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: Black Grasswren
From: "Michael Powell" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 06:36:35 +1000
-----Original Message-----
From: lorne <>
To:  <>
Date: Monday, 16 November 1998 14:00

>Has anyone on line ever seen a Black Grasswren? It looks spectacular and
>I'd love to see one.

Lorne
I had good views of a flock of six Black Grasswrens this September when
walking to the Mitchell Falls on the Mitchell Plateau in the West Kimberley.
They were easy to see as they hopped over rocks and around the spinifex.

Also in the Kimberley at Miners Pool, I saw a male Purple-crowned
Fairy-wren.
I was rewarded after a long patient wait standing beside my tripod,
knee-deep in the middle of the Pool with the sun over my shoulder and
sinking fast.
He flew into my view and sat very conspicuously in full light for just 15
wonderful seconds .
It was one of those few rare moments in bird-watching when things happen so
perfectly that you just can't believe it.
Cheers
Mike

Michael Powell
Brisbane  Australia