birding-aus

Re: Clayton's Advertising/Powerful Owl etc.

To: "Trevor Quested" <>
Subject: Re: Clayton's Advertising/Powerful Owl etc.
From: (Andy Burton)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:03:59 +1100
>I do not regard advertising the dates of a boat trip as offensive in any
>way.  It is important information.  I would not mind seeing some of the
>reports that Richard Jordan might be able to give should he ever feel that
>he is not breaking our list rules.  How shall I word that clearer?
>Emu tours go to some terrific places and consequently see some gob-smacking
>birds.  It seems a shame we can't see some reports.  I would welcome them.
>Klaus & Chris let us know what they are seeing up north, Andy Burton
>sometimes lets us know what he sees on trips.  The more info the better, I
>feel.
>Trevor

Hi Trevor,

        further to your note; it would be wonderful to have the time to put
more reports on Birding-aus but it ain't possible. However here are a
couple of sightings which may be of interest.

POWERFUL OWLS

        Took Ken Wysaucki (spelling?) from Chicago, to Cumberland SF and
Devlins Creek on Friday am and found the Powerful Owl (adult and juv), high
in the Coachwoods. Have also been advised of another ad. + juv not far away
at Fullers Park, just off Lady Game Drive, Chatswood West/Roseville. I have
not heard of this pair before and it's good to know that they are breeding
here.

        I suspect that this municipal area (The City of Willoughby) now has
two pairs of Powerful Owl with a third pair just outside its sw boundary.
ie the above pair on the western boundary, another in Scotts Creek, part of
the middle Harbour catchment to the east, and another possible pair in the
vicinity of Gore Hill.
        The City of Willoughby is a major residential, commercial and light
industrial area in the northern suburbs of Sydney (ca 33° 49 S   151 ° 11
E) and is fortunate in having some narrow bands of remnant bushland. Three
probable pairs in such a relatively small and highly developed area is, I
think, encouraging.

SCARLET HONEYEATER

        Yesterday, while coaching track and field (sport is another
passion) at Rotary Field, Lane Cove West, I had a Scarlet Honeyeater in the
allocasuarinas/mangroves bordering the Lane Cove River. Memory tells me
that this is my first sighting of this species in Willoughby.

SURVEY OF THE BIRDS OF WILLOUGHBY

        While talking of Willoughby I would like to hear of any interesting
bird records, historic or current, for the area, to supplement the survey
conducted by Ian McAllan and myself. As far as we are aware this was the
first formal survey of the birds of the municipality in the 210 years since
European settlement.

SHINGLEBACKS IN THE DIVIDE

        Another interesting sighting was of a Shingleback lizard (33 16.5 S
skulking under a Blackberry in the mountains to the north of Bathurst,
two weekends ago. Bathurst is ca. 200 km west of Sydney and I have since
learnt that this lizard was near the eastern edge of its range (Lithgow) at
this latitude. Yesterday Cindy Ryan saw one south of Musswellbrook (Ca 32
16 S   150 53 E), another easterly report.

That's all

Andy Burton
Andy Burton's Bush Tours
703/4 Francis Road