birding-aus

Geographic proposal for next years twitchathon

Subject: Geographic proposal for next years twitchathon
From: "Tony PALLISER" <>
Date: 16 Nov 98 12:12:58 +1100
Changing the subject slightly.

I have noted in recent years a drop off in the number of teams in NSW
(I could be wrong here).  Anyway in addition to the normal NSW
twitchathon may I suggest that there also be a SYDNEY twitchathon. That
is a Twitchathon confined to the county of Cumberland.  There would be
a number of advantages to this:

1. It would cut down the huge amount of KMs to be travelled.
2. There would be an increase in teams and therefore funds donated.
3. It would be a lot more competitive and more fun.
4. Birders local patches could be included.
5. It would greatly highlight the changes to a well known area in the
way of development
6. In years to come a more useful pattern of data would follow.
7. From an advertising point of view local Newspapers could be
involved and therefore promote the works of Birds Australia and our
cause.
8. It would be easier to have everyone meet at a given location after
the event. (driving from Gloucester Tops to Sydney just to get a
massive day list is over the top for many)
9. It would be of interest to many thinking of visiting a city to
know what can be seen.
10. It is easier to work out the best bird.

Anyway I think you get the idea, I am not sure how well it would work
for other cities but I think driving 1200km in a day after a night
without sleep is over the top, if not dangerous.  What are your views?
would it work better? Does Melbourne and other cities have a well
defined city boundries too?

Regards
Tony Palliser
Ph wk..... 02-99001678 fx..... 02-99001669
Ph mb..... 0416 095875
Ph hm..... 02-94277563
email: wk: