birding-aus

Rainbow Lorikeets & native plantings

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets & native plantings
From: "Nigel Sterpin" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:03:03 +1000
I would also say the increased population is due to increased native
plantations. I wonder if the general increase in native plants have been
those favourable to Lorikeets (ie:one sided & not spread evenly amongst
natives)
As a separate issue has anyone got information on the abundance, or lack
of, night parrots last century (or can they at least direct me to
something/one)?
My theory is that the night parrot, considering its habitat, would have
very little predatation and habitat destruction compared with other birds'.
If this is the case then it is probably on the verge of extinction due to
'natural' evolutionary causes.
Furthermore has any real effort be made to locate it? What I mean by real
is more than 10 or 20 people to try and cover 75% of Australia, as this
would be scratching the surface. Maybe a major operation should be
undertaken...as I mailed to somebody else, I wonder how much the first
picture of a night parrot would grab (probably wouldn't be bought by
Woman's Weekly though!!!)
email: