birding-aus

Newcastle Disease

Subject: Newcastle Disease
From: (NANCY A NEWMAN)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 16:32:23 -0700
I have a request for the list.  A friend of mine from Australia lives
about four streets away (downwind) from the poultry farm that has been
quarantined.  She has pet exotic birds and is very concerned about the
well-being of her pets.  She has been unable to get any substantive
information either from veterinarians or the government regarding the
strain of the disease or how to prevent it.  It seems that the quarantine
is not very regimented in that she has not been visited by any official.
She has been told that unless she is a registered breeding facility, she
will not get any information except from the media, but nothing official.

Does anyone on the list know anything that can help her?  What is being
done about protecting the feral avian populations in the area?  Or are
there plans for mass euthanasia such as at the poultry farm?  Will the
same be done to the pet avian populations in the area?  How can she find
out definitive information?

If anyone can help, please post to me and I will forward to Megan.  Thank
you in advance.
By the way, my quote at the end was from someone on this list.  It really
spoke to my heart on several levels, and I thank you for it.

Nancy Newman
SkyDancers Aviary

"Beware of half-truths....you may have the wrong half"