birding-aus

Re: Mystery Parrot Solved!

Subject: Re: Mystery Parrot Solved!
From: Jeff Crocombe <>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 15:15:06 +1000
Recently I had an experience that tested my bird ID skills. I saw a small
brown bird in our garden (Bendigo, VIC). My immediate thought was that it
was a sparrow: same size, similer colouration. a closer look ruled that out,
it had a white underbelly, some white tailfeathers, and appeared to have a
yellow wash running through it. After exhausting my Simpson & Day I was in
the midst of photographing this mystery bird when the light dawned: it was a
canary. It now resides in a cage in my study after no-one claimed it. I
second those motions that suggest perusing the stock of petstores to avoid
embarrassment over extravagent claims for new species.

Jeff Crocombe