birding-aus

Re: Mystery Parrot Solved!

Subject: Re: Mystery Parrot Solved!
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:20:41 +1000
Hello Michael and others,

I agree that it would be a bad thing if foreign parrots were to get
established in Australia. I recently spent a few months working in
Hawaii where just about everything that has been released or escaped
survives and thrives! I saw Plum-headed Parrots ( a relative of the
Indian Ringneck) in Honolulu and a species of Amazon (that I couldn't
identify) near Pahoa on the Big Island. I think that the environment in
Hawaii is so rich that it provides great conditions for species to
establish themselves. If only the native species could fare so well!

On this point why haven't foreign parrots established themselves in
Australia? Sure Australia is a pretty tough environment but what about
African lovebirds which are very common aviary birds from what I would
think would be a fairly similar climate and environment to parts of
Australia. Has anyone got any theories as to why the Peach-faced
Lovebird hasn't become established?

Regards,

Michael

--