birding-aus

Re: Common Names

Subject: Re: Common Names
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:57:48 +1000
I dread the day when I've found myself to be the Warty-faced Honeyeater
Recovery Coordinator.

To all those in NSW that attempted, or more sensibly didn't attempt, to get
involved in the Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot survey on the weekend.
Simon and I have considered the NSW weather situation and are encouraging
you all to have a go next weekend, weather and road conditions permitting.

Victorian birders had much better weather (finally ??).  I had a speaking
engagement Friday evening in Bendigo so covered a number of sites on Friday
between Melbourne and Bendigo.  Bucket loads (well almost) of Swift Parrots
near Heathcote in Spring Forest, Argyle and One Eye State Forests where
there was Red Ironbark flowering.  On Saturday I travelled eastward from
Bendigo checking patches of remnant Box-Ironbark woodland including
Runnymead and Cornella State Forests.  Gorarup Flora Reserve on the edge of
Rushworth State Forest was a gem with good numbers of small birds including
Speckled Warblers.  Ignoring honeyeaters, small birds seemed to be almost
completely absent in many areas.  Flynns Bend State Forest on the Goulburn
River north of Murchison revealed a Western Gerygone.  Other patches of
woodland south to Seymour had more of the same - honeyeaters,
Purple-crowned and Musk Lorikeet but little else.  Sunday saw a loop around
Puckapunyal, Toorabac, Graytown (lovely spot just to the north) and
Bailieston.  Another 6+ Swift Parrots in Costerfield State Forest. I wish
Regents were that easy to find in Victoria !!!

Can anyone offer an explanation as to where the small birds are ??  I have
done very little birding in Victoria to date, perhaps the Capertee Valley
and the NSW central and north coasts have spoilt me, but I found it all a
little depressing.

David Geering
Regent (Warty-faced) Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator