birding-aus

Re: wild birds in Pt Douglas hotel garden

To: "Stephen Martin" <>, <>
Subject: Re: wild birds in Pt Douglas hotel garden
From: "Barbara Harvey" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 18:43:46 -0700
 The Mirage at Port Douglas has a
> policy of preserving rare plant species in their gardens - obviously
> at no cost to the tax payer. Apparently this is part of a network
> of hotels doing this work. I'm sure this could be extended to some
> bird species.

The Radisson Treetops Hotel at Pt Douglas has created a rainforest around a
paperbark swamp at the hotel.  At Easter, 2 Orange-footed Scrubfowl were
working a mound near the swimming pool and 2 (wild ) Wandering Whistle
Ducks had been in residence by and in the (salt water) pool for some time.
They were all still there in June.  This hotel should win a prize for
creating a suberb rainforest  habitat - its also a very pleasant place to
stay!

Barbara Harvey
Sydney