birding-aus

Re: tree lucerne, weeds and biodiversity

Subject: Re: tree lucerne, weeds and biodiversity
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 23:57:54 +1000
Paul Peake has misread my intentions in asking some quite specifc
questions about birds eating (and digesting?) tree lucerne seeds.

I really wanted to know because I am very impressed with the value of
tree lucerne to native birds and my amateurish observations of my local
area suggest it is relatively easy to contain (see my articles on it in
the Bird Observers of 4/1995, 5/96 and 5/97).  In New Zealand (with its
sadly depleted native vegetation) the environment department actually
suggests planting it in gardens as food for native honeyeaters.

But I really ought to shut up until I have read the book to which Paul
refers (Environmental Weeds Invasions in Victoria (1992) by Carr,
Yugovic and Robinson which I am told says dispersal is by water [??} and
it has invaded: heath, grassy woodland, dry schlerophyl forest/woodland,
damp schlerophyl forest, and riparian communities.) I believe there is
also at least one other paper on it (by Yugovic).

{The scientific name changed I believe from Cytisus palmensis via
Chamaecytisus palmensis to Chamaecytisus proliferus.]

Michael Norris
Hampton, Victoria, Australia 3188
roughly 37° 55' S  145° E