birding-aus

re Gluepot reserve

Subject: re Gluepot reserve
From: DL and CF Lill <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:52:37 -0700
memo to Tony,
             re your enquiry of 24/5 re gluepot reserve. I am a member
of  the Gluepot Reserve management conmittee, and am also the
information officer. The reserve will be open to the public from 1st
July 1998, even though the official opening date is still to be
finalised.
        All enquiries should be made to the chairman of GR Management committee
        Mr John English,
        PO Box 61
        Barmera South Australia 5345
        fax:  08 85887474
Alternatively myself via the email below.
However I will not be available between 3/7/98 and 10/10/98, as I will
be on long service leave in North Qld - bird watching.
        The black eared miner, red lored whistler, scarlet chested parrot,
mallee fowl, regent parrot and striated grass wrens (all threatened) all
occur on the property. Other regionally threatened birds  include :
major Mitchel cockatoo, white browed tree creepers, apostle birds and
grey fronted honeyeaters. Also seen for the first time there recently
were the eastern spinebill and the painted honey eater. There  are over
140 birds on the bird list so far. Gluepot is in a low rainfall(8") area
dominated by low growing multistemmed eucalypts called mallees. There is
also a variety of other vegetation types which I won't go into now.
        Hope this info is of interest to you and other members of birding Oz
        Don Lill