birding-aus

Re: Moulting

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Subject: Re: Moulting
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 17:46:02 +1000
Stephen,

Do White winged Trillers have something unusual about their moult?  I seem
to remember Arnold McGill telling something about them & I've forgotten.

Stephen Ambrose wrote..............
There is some evidence that a few Australian arid-zone birds may
occasionally moult their wing feathers more than once a year. Australian
bird species are essentially seasonal breeders, even in the semi-arid and
arid zone. However, arid and semi-arid zone species can also breed
opportunistically outside the usual breeding season after heavy rainfall.
Feathers (especially wing primaries and secondaries) are usually very worn
after a breeding attempt and so are moulted sequentially and new ones grown
once breeding is completed.

Trevor  & Annie Quested
Sydney,  Australia

Phone   +61 2 9955 6266