birding-aus

Re: Eclectus with discoloured feathers

Subject: Re: Eclectus with discoloured feathers
From: Pat Macwhirter <>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 07:58:28 +1000
This is the dilemma, Des.

Birds commonly go from green to blue because of loss of carotenoids, or
green to yellow because of loss of structural blue. If this is the
mechanism in this case the red female, if carotenoid dependent should have
gone from red to black. Instead she went from red to yellow. This suggests
that carotenoids were not wiped out. Even if the colour change was due to
porphyins, loss of which could account for loss of both red and green, then
the female should have been left with a black background if there were no
carotenoids, or green if the carotenoids were inter-playing with a
structural blue back ground.

We could account for the changes if the female had a black background and
carotenoids altered from red to yellow and the male had a blue background
and lost carotenoids completely. However, it's hard to imagine that the
same mechanism that wipes out carotenoids or porphrins in the male could at
the same time allow carotenoids to be expressed in the female.

I wish the birds would read the text books! Anyone else willing to have a
shot at the puzzle?

Pat Macwhirter