birding-aus

raptor record

Subject: raptor record
From: Robert Davis <>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 10:57:45
Hi Alex and others.

I was very impressed with your raptor sighting record near Ingham. That is
certainly a good number of species. Is this usual for that area of
Queensland or could it be attributed to extraordianry conditions such as
weather patterns or mouse plagues?

To throw in my two cents worth, the best raptor diversity I have ever seen
was within 50 km (east) of Newman in the Pilbara region of WA. On the main
road heading east, we saw:

Spotted Harrier
Nankeen Kestrel
Black Kite
Whistling Kite
Little Eagle
Peregrine Falcon
Australian Hobby
Brown Falcon
Grey Falcon - 4 (no this is not a joke)
Wedge-tailed Eagle

Which also adds up to the grand sum of 10 species! But how many other
raptor counts would include 4 Grey Falcons????!!

Has anybody else seen such a diversity of raptors?

Cheers,

Rob.

Robert Davis
Wildlife Biologist