birding-aus

River red gums

To: BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: River red gums
From: Brian Everingham <>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 07:16:05 +1000
I am reliably informed that the NSW Minister for Land and Water

Conservation has lifted all remaining controls on clearing of river red

gums on freehold lands. Previously a Vegetation Management Officer at

least had the duty of inspection. Now there is apparently open slather.

This has occurred within the last week.

I have no further details at this stage. I am not even sure how much

land this affects or if this ruling also impacts on leasehold lands.

However the potential impact on remnant vegetation and therefore our

declining woodland birds need not be underlined ... especially if this

approach to vegetation management is an indication of how those

community vegetation management committees are likely to operate.

Please feel free to ensure that the Minister is aware that you wish to

have all remnant vegetation in NSW subject to clearing controls which

are effective. And please keep this information flowing in.

Brian Everingham

Hon Secretary

National Parks Association of NSW

ph 02 95209341