birding-aus

ACT region Hotline highlights

Subject: ACT region Hotline highlights
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:18:05 +1100 (EST)
Highlights from twice-weekly Canberra Ornithologists' Group (COG) hotline,
for fortnight ending 13 March (some reports are of earlier obs).

It is now over a month since we had a drop of rain; that day we got 35mm,
but prior to that we haven't had a fall of more than 8mm since early
September. Birds aren't impressed, and the surrounding woodlands are very
empty... Perhaps as a result, lots of suburban raptor reports including
hobbies, peregrines, Little Eagles, Brown Falcons, Wedgies. Oddly, there are
a couple of very late nesting records too.

SPINE-TAILED SWIFTS     After a total dearth, the skies filled with them on
a storm front on 27/2 [needless to say nothing else fell from the sky!].
This was probably their last hurrah for us this summer

SUPERB FAIRY-WRENS      Clutch left suburban nest 5/3!

MALLEE RINGNECK         grounds of Calvary hospital, 6/3. Observer says no
sign of being a cage bird! [I am unaware of previous records]

RUFOUS FANTAIL          8/3, National Botanic Gardens. Passage migrant -
normally among the first to leave, about now.

PLUMED WHISTLING DUCK    Single bird on Lake Burley Griffin!!

PILOTBIRDS      Colony reported on property near Collector (~30k on Canberra
side of Goulburn, in apparently quite inappropriate habitat!)

POWERFUL OWL    on same property, in Casuarinas sheltering a colony of
Ringtailed Possums

WHITE AUSTRALIAN RAVEN  near Googong Dam, out of Queanbeyan
Hotline number: 02 6247 5530
COG web site: www.canberrabirds.dynamite.com.au/
---
---
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
ph: 02 62491560 fax: 02 62473227