birding-aus

Owls and cockatoos in south west Victoria - resent

Subject: Owls and cockatoos in south west Victoria - resent
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 98 12:47:39 -0500
[I'm resending this message because some folk (including me) have been
receiving blank emails today.  It appears to be a problem at the receiving
end - not the sender's.  A point of clarification - I was not involved
with the nocturnal survey but I plan to be next time!]

G'day all

Some interesting survey highlights in sw Victoria over the weekend.  The
Portland Field Naturalists and Environment Victoria conducted a nocturnal
fauna survey in the Cobboboonee State Forest (north of Portland).  Targets
were Yellow-bellied Gliders and Owls.  Masked, Barking and Powerful Owls
were all heard.  A Masked Owl was also heard in the area a couple of weeks
ago.  Up to three pairs of Powerful Owls seem to be in the forest.  If
anyone is interested in these reports please contact Lois and Max Phillips
in Portland.

Rod Bird, Rob Drummond and myself took part in the Red-tailed
Black-Cockatoo survey.  We arrived at our designated area (south west of
Dergholm), stopped the car and immediately found 25 birds in a loose
feeding flock.  We then drove for over 100km through the bush and pine
plantations without any more success.  Reports indicate that there were
two other groups (50 and 20 birds) to the north and east of our group.

Cheers

Steve

Stephen Clark
Agriculture Victoria, Pastoral & Veterinary Institute
Private Bag 105  HAMILTON  3300  Australia
Phone 0355 730 977   Fax 0355 711 523