birding-aus

poor sound on Simpson & Day CD-ROM

Subject: poor sound on Simpson & Day CD-ROM
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:50:55 +1100 (EST)
I have the Simpson & Day Birds of Australia CD-rom version 3.
It has songs of several hundred Australian birds on it, digitised
I believe from the Bird Observer Club tapes.

Unfortunately the transfer of the songs to the CD-ROM seems to have been
done badly.  Almost all of the songs I have examined are seriously clipped
(this is what happens when recording levels are set too high).

There is a noticable affect on the sound quality. This doesn't matter too
much if you are listening to the songs, particularly through the poor
speakers most computers have.

However, I want to analyse the songs digitally, generate spectrograms, etc
and the clipping makes the CD-ROM almost useless for my purposes.

I would be pissed off if I'd paid full price for the Simpson & Day CD-ROM.
Fortunately I bought it on sale for $10.

I know version 4 of the CD-ROM is available with songs from more species.
Before I pay $99 does anyone know if the songs have been re-digitised to
fix this fault?

Andrew Taylor