birding-aus

Re: Help wanted birdwatching East Africa

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Help wanted birdwatching East Africa
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:52:44 +1100
Ian,
We went in September 96.  Kenya, Zimbabwe, Botswana.  It is a birdwatcher's
paradise, much to the chagrin of my fellow travellers who just wanted to see
big animals.  I got some truly beautiful photos (shot over 1200, you'd
expect so).  We were only there for 4 weeks.

We went with Cheli and Peacock in Kenya and the main guide was a birder and
as fanatical as I.  We would stalk a bird while everyone else siesta'd.
They aren't cheap so can't really help too much with the travel, but I did
pick up what is regarded as the definitive reference for SE Africa.

Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania, by Zimmerman, Turner and Pearson.
Russell Friedman books, ISBN 1-875091-04-1.It is a big heavy book but is a
fantastic reference, not a pcket sized field guide.  I picked up my copy in
Nairobi.  Forgotten the bookstore, but there is a 'book area' of town and I
picked it up in the largest of them.  Any hotel you stay at can get you
there.

For a bit of a taste I have some of the better photos on my web site, along
with my 'bird diary' that started me on a life list.  Sorry about the
shameless plug there.  Follow the Photography link to Africa and thence to
Claws.

--
Eric Hocking "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
Remove "nospam." from address to email.