birding-aus

Re: Grey Falcon sighting.

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Grey Falcon sighting.
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 10:34:08 +1100
Conole, Lawrie wrote:

> It is a very dry summer, so it is plausible to see a
> Grey Falcon near Maldon - but still exceptional, so count yourself
> lucky!

I do.  As an aside, on a recent trip to Tassie a guide in the Cradle Mt area
corrected me on a number of sightings when I said "but it's range doesn't
extend to Tasmania".  From observations over the last 6 months, it seems
that a number of predominantly mainland birds are being found in northern
Tas at the moment.

I did tak this into account when I was looking at the range in Simpson and
Day.

> A fabulous bird - the "Smoke Hawk".

I thought my father had made this name up.  First time I've heard (OK read)
it in years.

--
Eric Hocking "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
Remove "nospam." from address to email.