birding-aus

Re: Grey Falcon sighting.

To: Eric Hocking <>
Subject: Re: Grey Falcon sighting.
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 07:22:49 +1000 (EST)
I can't speak for other parts of the country, but i have seen a grey
falcon on 2 occasions, both in savannah in North-west Queensland.

The first was in July 1994 on the road from Julia Creek to Normanton, near
Sedan Dip. It was perched in one of the few scattered trees near to the
road with the full bird visible, tail markings, eye colour etc.  I was
able to watch it for several minutes before it flew off in a leisuely
glide across the plain. I was alone at the time, and identified it from
'Slater'.

The second sighting was 29 January 1997 on the Winton to Boulia Road, in
the company of another birder.  This time the bird flew low over the
vehicle looking menacing like a bomber and was lost in seconds over the
escarpment.  John and i debated its identity for some minutes before he
agreed that the gizz fitted that of the grey falcon as described
by Pizzey (the original version).  It was a lifer for John.

Incidentally, the Winton area was very productive, having received recent
rains.  We also got good looks at flock pigeon, little eagle and hall's
babblers, and clocked a flock of budgies racing the car at 60 kph.

Alex Appleman

Townsville