birding-aus

F O'C's response re spotlighting.

Subject: F O'C's response re spotlighting.
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:37:49 +1030
Frank, you have jumped to an unfounded assumption that I am unaware of the
excellent work done by the PW man. He has, as you suggest, done more than
anyone in adding to our understanding of this difficult species, and I would
be the last to detract from the value of his work, and indeed, on what basis
would I be able to do so.
What I commented on was what I experienced as a paying client of his in his
commercial operator capacity, and although I saw the PW's for the first(and
probably last)time, I felt for the birds, and certainly wouldn't go again.

I cannot agree that his past excellent contribution now makes his commercial
activities acceptable, at least,not in the way that I experienced them.And
yes, of course the possibilty of running over birds is an emotive issue, but
we can't just ignore it because it's emotive.

Off-centre spotlighting? yes, some commercial operators try to adhere to
this but I've been with some others who don't.
Tony Russell
Ph: 08 82078470W
    08 83375959H
Fax:08 82078422