birding-aus

Re: F O'C's response re spotlighting.

To: Tony Russell <>
Subject: Re: F O'C's response re spotlighting.
From: michael norris <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:17:19 +1100
Know your enemy and don't attack your friends.

I've never seen a Plains Wanderer - probably never will since I'm tied
up in working to retain some sense of natural heritage in an urban area.
(I say probably because one turned up in Main Street, Diamond Creek,
30km NE of the centre of Melbourne on 6.9.97 - see Bird Observer 780.)

But I've talked to others about Phil Maher's services and have been told
only that he emphasised all the time that the birds were to be respected
- if you missed one called up by tape, hard luck.  About half the people
on the trips he led were from overseas bringing HARD CASH :) into this
country.

More useful threads would be about: 25 ways to exert pressure to stop
native grassland being turned to rice fields; local efforts to use local
birds in ecotourism ; how can we use the experience of the British RSPB
in creating reserves to promote birds (turn parts of Werribee into a
Minsmere?) ....

Michael Norris