birding-aus

Canberra region 'Hotline' highlights

Subject: Canberra region 'Hotline' highlights
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:37:44 +1100 (EST)
shall be posting (as weekly as time and reports permit) highlights from the
Canberra Ornithologists' Group (COG) hotline, which I run. It is a
twice-weekly service; I shall try to pick out records which may be of wider
interest (I actively encourage people to report their 'enjoyment' records,
as well as more 'scientific' ones).

As this is the first, I shall include some goodies from the past month or
so. Any feedback to improve its use to you would be appreciated (providing
it doesn't involve too much work!).

It's probably too late to be useful this year, but migrant returns (for some
reason an unusually high number of Canberra spp leave here for the winter!)
may be of some interest in future.

Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos  - until early October - at least 80+ in
suburban Weston

White-browed Woodswallows       - 1/10  - 100+ over National Botanic Gdns
                                - 2/10  - over Gungahlin (Nth Canb)
                                - 29/10 - 200+ over National Botanic Gdns,
with at least one Masked Ws

Black Pelican (!)               - 5/10    - Lake Burley Griffin (rejected by
pelicans, accepted by Black Swans....)

Swift Parrot                    - 2/10    - Campbell Park (suburban)
                                - 5/10    - 6 near Binalong (NW of Yass)
                                - 5/10    - 1 dead in northern ACT

Regent Honeyeater               - 12/10   - male banded in CAnberra 2 years
ago now mated with different female in Capertee VAlley, 260k away
                                - 23/10   - bird bath in suburban Florey!

White-bellied Sea Eagle        - 16/10   - Lake Tuggeranong (suburban)

Cattle Egrets                  - 9/11    - 2 by highway just north of
Canberra (they normally leave the area for breeding well before this)

Superb Parrot                  - 9/11    - suburban Fraser

Channel-billed Cuckoo          - 10/10   - suburban Farrer

Spine-tailed Swifts ('Needletails'...) - 9/11 - near Ulladulla

Hotline number: 02 6247 5530
COG web site: www.canberrabirds.dynamite.com.au/

---
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
ph: 02 62491560 fax: 02 62473227