birding-aus

Round Hill

Subject: Round Hill
From: Nandini Kuehn <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:45:40 +1100
Thanks to Chris Gladwin, Tony Palliser, Trevor Quested/Annie Young, Cilla
Rose and Annabel Hoskins for comments and suggestions re Round Hill.

We were there for Oct.23-25.  As a first visit, the birding was surprisingly
tough.  We saw some good birds, but really had to work to see some of them.
It got quite warm (33 or so) on the 24 and 25.  Things were very quiet after
about 7am and the flies were unbelievable (at least to someone who has only
lived in Australia for a year).

Highlights included:  Chestnut Quail Thrush, Shy Heathwren, Crested
Bellbird, Black and Painted Honeyeaters, Pink Cockatoo, Yellow plumed and
White fronted Honeyeaters.  We saw lots of Rufous Whistlers but no Gilberts
or Red-lored.  Perhaps we were too oblivious to their calls or perhaps too
late in the Spring. Two visits to the Chat site produced lots of
White-fronted chats and White-winged Fairy Wrens, but no Crimson or Orange
Chats.  Our visits were at noon one day and 7:30 am another.  Again, perhaps
first light (5 am just before daylight saving time started) is essential.

On the way there, we stopped at Back Yamma State Forest (p 54 in Roberts).
It is a great place for a few hours of birding.  Fabulous looks at Turquoise
Parrots, several Hooded and Red capped Robins and Speckled Warblers.

Woody Kuehn