birding-aus

RE: Mulberries and the precautionary principle

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: RE: Mulberries and the precautionary principle
From: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 08:56:49 +1000
To open the case for the defense, let me first say that our Mulberry
tree is a Black (M nigra). Secondly, that the tree is now twenty years
old and I have never seen a seedling anywhere within a ten kilometre
radius. It is not possible to prove that none have grown from seed
dispersed from my tree, but not having found any in twenty years (and I
spend a lot of time in bushland in the vicinity) gives me some
confidence that Mulberries are not a weed problem in my area.

Having said that, I agree that advising others to plant mulberries was a
bit rash and I now formally withdraw that advice.

Of much more serious concern in our area (near Cooranbong, NSW) are
Camphor Laurels, Privet and Passionfruit.

Just to inject a note of on-topicness to the list, as I type this a
Dollarbird is performing an aerial  display outside my office window, a
truly magnificent sight and one of the joys of birdwatching.

Have a great long weekend (NSW, ACT and SA) and  don't forget it's
double points in NSW for traffic offenses this weekend!

Paul Osborn
Research Scientist
BHP Research - Newcastle Labs
PO Box 188 Wallsend, NSW, 2287