birding-aus

Re: Mulberries and the precautionary principle

Subject: Re: Mulberries and the precautionary principle
From: "Martin O'Brien" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:48:25 -0816 (UTC)
May I add my 0.02 cents worth to Michael Norris' note
regarding planting Mulberries.

(Thanks to Kate Blood, Environmental Weeds 'expert' at the
Keith Turnbull Research Institute, Frankston, Victoria,
Australia).

Mulberry trees occur in three different forms in Australia.

Black - Morus nigra, Red - M. rubra and White M. alba.
They are a native of mainland China and used for silkworm
'farming'.  In the US they are known to hybridise with
native Mulberries.

In Australia they are known as weeds, viz. the CSIRO
publication - CSIRO Handbook of Australian Weeds (1997)
says that M. alba is weedy in Western Australia, Queensland
and New South Wales.  In particular it can be a problem in
Woodlands and gullies.

Of course some of our native fruit eating birds are not
fussed about all this, although their habits may contribute
to the spread of this exotic species.

Cheers  Martin
Martin O'Brien
Scientific Officer - Flora and Fauna Guarantee
Flora and Fauna Program
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne  3002
Victoria   AUSTRALIA

tel: + 61 3 9412 4567