birding-aus

RFI:Little Desert

Subject: RFI:Little Desert
From: (hillier lab)
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 08:42:53 +0000
Hi everyone,
        I am heading to the little Desert soon (on that special birdwatching
weekend Oct26) and although I have been there a few times I have never been
able to find either Slender-billed Thornbill or Rufous Fieldwren.  Both are
almost certainly inhabitants of the Little Desert area and I think the
Slender-billed Thornbill is hard to see elsewhere in Victoria.  I was
wondering if anyone had seen these birds in or near the Desert and if so if
they could share their sighting spots with me.
        Also Slender-billed Thornbill looks pretty easy to confuse with the
common Buff-rumped Thornbill.  Does anyone have any good ID tips.  Does
habitat preference play a part in identification.
                                                        Best Wishes
                                                        John Boyce