birding-aus

DATA "SHOT" ALBATROSS

Subject: DATA "SHOT" ALBATROSS
From: SOSSA-Smith&Jenkin-Smith <>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 15:05:42 -0800
For those that may be interested to know more about the Wandering Albatross
that was
SHOT at Bermagui, N.S.W, on the 25th September 1997.

Wandering Albatross Diomedea exulans gibsoni, (Gibson's Albatross).
Distribution; Breeds only at the Auckland Islands, on Adams and Dissapointment
Islands
and the Main island of the group.
Ranges at sea to southern and eastern Australia and western south Pacific Ocean.

Gibson Plumage Index (G.P.I) Head 6, Back 4.2, Wing 4, tail 2.5,
Total  GPI score 16.7, this would indicate an adult male of 20-40 years of age.
Moult
Pattern of primary feathers and measurements as per SOSSA Standard.
Measurements taken
by L.E.Smith SOSSA.
Weight 6.1 Kilograms, Exposed Culmen 148mm, Bill Base 59.0 mm , Bill minimum
33.0 mm,
Bill tip unguis at deepest point 39.2 mm, Tarsus 116.0 mm, Mid Toe (excluding
claw)
159.0 mm, Wing 633 mm 9th primary not fully grown.
Molt Pattern; Right wing.

        1       N 199.3 mm
        2       O 288.0 mm
        3       O 335.0 mm
        4       N 392.0 mm
        5       N 447.0 mm
        6       O 495.0 mm 2nd generation feather
        7       O 540.0 mm 2nd generation feather
        8       N 600.0 mm
        9       N (4) 633.0 mm primary 4.5 /5ths grown
        10      N (3) 448.0 mm primary 3/5ths grown

This barbaric and willful shooting of albatrosses and other seabirds cannot be
allowed
to continue. We would ask that all people who share our concerns make their
feelings
known by writing to State and Federal Enviornment Ministers expressing outrage
at the
current spate of shootings.

--
SOSSA  "Wildlife Research"
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association Inc

Lindsay E. Smith & Janice G. Jenkin-Smith
P.O. Box 142, Unanderra NSW Australia 2526

Phone +61 (02) 4271 6004
Fax   +61 (02) 4272 4626
Mobile 0418 603 007